Signs of Aging
Age is truly just a number unless your body tells otherwise. Sometimes, stopping the signs of aging requires changes on the inside and also to what we put into our bodies.
One telltale sign that you are getting older is your skin. Youthful radiant skin (which everyone wants) makes others think that you are younger than you are. On the other hand, skin that is thin, transparent, wrinkled or dry can make you look older than you are.
Here are some tips to keep that skin looking radiant at all ages. Radiant skin signifies that the insides are healthy as well.
* Protection from the sun – This can’t be stressed enough. Not only can too much unprotected exposure to the sun cause skin cancer, but it also can lead to premature wrinkling, leathery tough skin and age spots. Wear sunscreen whenever you go outside, summer or winter. Don’t forget your face and lips.
* Get some sleep – The body uses the sleeping hours at night to repair itself from the wear and tear of the day. When you don’t sleep, the body has to move on without the chance to rest and renew. This can lead to increased stress in the body and illness. Most adults need at least six to eight hours a night. When you are well rested, so is your body.
* Stop smoking – Cigarette smoke contains hundreds of toxic substances that are released into the air and then into your lungs. It reduces elasticity in your vessels but also in your skin. For your face, you get that pursed look around your mouth from holding a cigarette there.
* Reduce stress levels – Stress really can lead to illness. It causes us to eat an unhealthy diet, sleep less, and take up risky behaviors (smoking and alcohol abuse). All of these things have a poor effect on the body. It increases the risk of disease and can give you a body that is years older than your chronological age. Stress increases free radical damage in the body and that includes the skin. Manage your stress so that you can carry on a healthier lifestyle that promotes radiant skin.
* Increase healthy diet – When the body doesn’t get the vitamins and nutrients that it needs, this can lead to external signs: dry brittle hair, dry brittle nails, pale lackluster skin, wrinkles and dry skin. You are missing what you need. Switching to a diet full of whole grains, complex carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables and nuts will slowly rejuvenate your body and the skin.
How is your skin looking today? Maybe you are lacking a nutrient or experiencing too much stress. Take steps to reduce your risk factors and plump up that skin again.