style="display:block"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-3873818953323317"
data-ad-slot="6990826370"
data-ad-format="auto">

Kids and Safety

Is your house safe for your kids? We often think of safety hazards as sharp edges or open sockets. But, what about some common items around the house? They could become poisons.

Possible Poisons

Here are some common household substances that could become poisons to your child.

* Medicines - When your child sees you taking pills, resist the urge to describe them as “candy for adults.” If your child gets hold of one of those bottles they might eat the pills thinking that they are candy.

* Hair spray and shampoo - In the bottles, it looks like something to drink. Neither have childproof tops so kids can possibly work them loose. With spray bottles, pushing down on the nozzle the wrong way could give your child a splash to the face or even the eyes.

* Cleaning products - These are often what we think of when we consider household poisons. They are often kept below the sink in the bathroom and kitchen but not necessarily locked away. Even bottles that have twisting nozzles to prevent spraying can be manipulated by a child. Corrosives can burn and eat away at the mucus lining of the throat and stomach if ingested. Mixing chemicals can lead to noxious fumes.

* Make-up - Loose powders can be smeared on the face and get into the eyes. Mineral make-up may be safe on the skin but not when ingested. Children can also get into and drink perfumes, body washes, shaving cream and other personal products.

* Pesticides - Products used in the garden or to kill bugs can also be a danger to your child. They are often lethal if ingested, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. Your child won’t be wearing gloves when they get into it.

Preventing Poisonings

Here are some tips to help you make your home as safe as you can for your child. Accidental poisonings happen more than you think, but you can keep them from reaching your door.

* Lock cabinets. Keep childproof locks on cabinets under the sinks so that kids can’t reach the cleaning products.

* Use original containers. In case there is accidental poisoning, you will more easily be able to identify the substance so that the correct treatment takes place.

* Keep medicines in the medicine cabinet. Leaving them on the counter is within the grasp of little fingers.

* Clean up any spills. Small hands are always on the counter. A child could accidentally rub their eyes with a hand that has some household cleaner on it.

* Keep your make-up in a bag and out of reach. Never let your child play with it. They could use it improperly at another time and hurt themselves.

Sponsors