The average life expectancy is somewhere around 77 years of age. Yet, many people around the world are living to well beyond the century mark. How are they doing it?
They have good genes to be sure, but there are other factors that play a role. For those with good genes, even smoking and eating not-so-healthy food can’t deter them from living to a ripe old age. But, this is not the norm.
Here are some tips from those who have made the leap to centenarian. Others are well on their way and you can make it too. Keep reading.
* Drink plenty of water – It is like a natural curative. Water nourishes body and keeps your skin looking supple and moisturized.
* Take care of your body – As the saying goes, if you take care of your body, it will also take care of you. Get regular check-ups at the doctor once a year. Take medications as prescribed and follow doctor’s orders.
* Get regular exercise – Exercise benefits everyone at all ages. Aerobic activity is important for losing weight or maintaining a reasonable weight. You don’t have to run a marathon, but you can ride your bike daily or go for walks. Don’t forget the strength training. It builds and maintains muscle as you age. This increases balance and agility.
* Lose weight – This goes with the one above. Gaining too much weight can lead to a whole host of other conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and others. Even losing ten percent of your weight can lower your chances significantly of developing any of these conditions.
* Stretch your mind – The worst thing you can do is watch television all day. It does nothing to stimulate the mind. Instead practice neurobics. This is the term for mind aerobics that creates new synaptic pathways in the brain and keeps your focus and concentration fresh. Do crossword puzzles. Practice writing something with your opposite hand.
* Watch what you eat – You are what you eat and you want to be the one who lives for a long time. Some centenarians attribute part of their longevity to eating natural foods like fresh fruits and vegetables. Also, avoiding processed foods and trans fats helps reduce the toxins in your body.
* Have sex – This one may be just what the doctor ordered. A healthy sex life well into your advanced years can help reduce the risk of some disease processes. Besides, it is an enjoyable way for couples to release stress and grow closer.
* Stay optimistic – The mind is an important part of all that we do. We can convince ourselves that we can do anything that we put our mind to. Take up a new sport. Learn to swim or take piano lessons. Keep the zest for life new.