When it comes right down to it, we can affect many changes in the body by changing our eating habits. We see it all the time with weight control. If we eat too much and don’t get rid of the excess calories, it becomes stored as fat. Over time that fat accumulates on the body to change our appearance.
The same goes for energy levels. The body uses nutrients from foods we eat to perform its daily functions. One of those functions is stoking the fires to give you energy.
Now, what if we said that you can still eat each day and steadily lose energy? That happens when you don’t use the right fuel to get the body going. If the body can’t use what you are giving it, then you will still feel run down.
Here are some ways to eat and types of foods to eat to increase your energy each day.
* Eat small meals – The body can burn more fuel for energy if it is constantly provided with the right nutrients on a regular basis. Eating every three or so hours keeps the metabolism high so you burn more calories and thereby have more fuel at your disposal.
* Eat whole grains – Whole grains contain a lot of fiber, both soluble and insoluble. It takes more energy to digest those grains, so you maintain a steady energy level throughout the day. This also hinders cravings.
* Eat protein – Protein helps to keep the hunger away so you can do more between meals. Stick with lean protein to avoid getting too much fat. Try poultry, fish, seafood, beans, and nuts in moderation.
* Dairy – Don’t neglect the milk. The calcium helps build strong bones. Yogurt is full of good live cultures to aid in digestion. Choose low-fat dairy products to avoid too much fat in your diet.
* Fruits – Fruit is the natural way to get a sugar boost without the empty calories. Use the natural sweetness to satisfy sweet cravings. Try eating the whole fruit for greater satiety instead of drinking juice.